Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Forgoing the Comfort

Yesterday I shared (here)that Johnny & I are going to Haiti in July to serve at Mission of Hope.  Today I want to be a little more transparent about how I made the decision to go on this trip.

Johnny made the decision to go to Haiti way before I did. To be honest, I ignored the Lord speaking to me about going for quite some time, but one Sunday morning as Pastor Edgar began to talk about all the precious Haitian people my heart began to flutter & beat out of my chest. In that moment, I decided to obey because obedience is always a better route than ignoring the Lord. That morning I finally stopped talking it over with myself, my husband, and double checking with God and made the commitment to go. I erased from my mind the list of reasons I shouldn't go, and began focusing on the one solid reason I should;
1) God said Go.

Now, to get really real with you all, the reasons I was reluctant to go is because I know Haiti will totally be out of my comfort zone in two big ways, leaving Noah for 9 days & the Heat. It is very difficult to leave Noah with family for 2 days let alone leaving the country and having no communication with him for 9 days. The thought of it makes my heart sink and I began to doubt going. Then there is the heat factor. I'm not embarrassed to admit that the 2nd main reason to consider not going to Haiti was the lack of electricity & that we are going in July. I've had selfish thoughts like, "what am I going to do with my hair? no straightener? yikes!" and "I can't handle that kinda heat, can we go during winter?"Totally horrible, but I'm getting real with you all. 

The thing is that I know that God has placed it on my heart to go to Haiti. Serving in Haiti this summer is just like all of the other dreams he has placed in my heart that were (more often than not) challenging & hard to make a reality but through him they were all possible. 
Sometimes to really be used by God, allow him to speak to you, move through you, and hear his voice we have to get uncomfortable. I enjoy drawing while listening to worship music, sermons, or reading through the word. On Sunday I was able to worship with my church via ustream & during worship I grabbed my prayer journal and sat Noah in my lap. I found myself doodling the picture above as the Lord began to share with me that I must get out of my comfort zone to be refreshed in Him. I'm not crazy y'all & I am aware that I lack the ability to draw well but somehow this is one way the Lord pours into my heart each week. I encourage you to try doodling while worshiping sometimes. 


I share this little drawing from my journal to be vulnerable & to let you know that the Lord sees that I'm getting comfortable & it is time to step out & be refreshed in him. 


What is one way you can step out today to let him speak to you, move through you, and hear his heart?

~Brit


Linking up at The Wiegands

5 comments:

  1. I am trying to let my blog be a way of stepping out in faith. While my husband and I were in Africa last year, I really felt the lord asking me to start a blog that would do everything possible to make HIM famous. I'm still trying to find a voice that is not cheesy but totally unashamed of my love for him!

    Haiti is going to be amazing. Loads of prayers for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise, that is awesome. I know what you mean about not wanting to come across as cheesy. For me I don't want others to think I"m overbearing or think I am over spiritual, because thats not my heart. I just know who I am & who I am becoming because of Christ & I just want others (women in particular) to experience the Lord in the same way. As we speak from our hearts & obey, He will become famous.

      Thanks for the encouragement & prayers, they are appreciated!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brit,

    I just found your blog through Heather's link up; I have only read this one post so far, but I am so inspired by you! I love hearing how others are moved by God and the work of the Holy Spirit. Haiti is going to be an amazing experience for you both and I can't wait to read how it goes for you!

    Aloha,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you found me. We are really looking forward to Haiti & can't wait to see what God has in store for us there!! Looking forward to getting to know you.

      Delete

Always Enjoy Hearing From You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...