Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Mom & the Word

The life of a mom can sometimes be overwhelming for many reasons. Reasons that I'm pretty sure we all know & understand as a mommy. I've made the choice to be a stay-at-home mommy, which on most days I love, however there are those days that I seriously re-think my decision. The first year of Noah's life I was in school full time & then for 3 months did an intensive internship while in school to graduate, so I understand what its like to be a working mommy too & the challenges that presents. 
But being a stay at home mom means 
very limited "me & Jesus time".
One thing I have learned as a stay-at-home mommy is that I've GOT to read God's word every single day. If I don't my everyday life begins to get way too chaotic. My son's disobedience is enough to make me go nuts, by the 3rd trip over the puppy I'm barking at her, I snap at my husband for silly things, I'm not a good friend, making dinner seems like a horrible chore, coffee becomes a drug instead of a treat, if blueberries end up on the living room floor one more time I might scream, getting to church on Wednesday night is a workout, and by the end of the week I lose sight of being Gods hands & feet because instead I'm just a grumpy mommy trying to make it to the weekend so her husband can join the fun! Just being honest. I say all of that to say this get into the word because the workout that life can feel like is probably a result of not spending time with the Lord. At least for me, this is always the result.

I've been having a lot of friends ask me how do I find 10 minutes to read a book or the Bible, let alone scripture journal or spend time with God. So let me share what this looks like for me... 
By 10 am on most days I prop my Bible & journal out on the counter with my drink of choice (coffee or tea) and jump straight in usually while Noah watches Curious George or plays choo choos. Most likely I'll be interrupted 30 times & the word waits patiently for my return while I care for my little one. 
 Often I'm outside sitting on a step while Noah becomes a sandy mess while I scripture doodle ....
I participate in She Reads Truth Bible Study with many other women. You should join us here!
Sometimes Noah is creating his own masterpiece while his mommy gets lost in a few scriptures.

Yes, sometimes I get distracted by reading & doodling to find my 2 year eating a breakfast bar that he has dropped on the ground outside. Guess what? He's always fine.
and yes often he is covered in mud....
or has sand on every inch of his little self... 

but thats why I'm so thankful for clean running water inside our home! We can play really hard & get totally dirty & then get all clean. Its great!
How do you find time to read the word
 & spend time with God?
~Brit

7 comments:

  1. Awesome post and so challenging for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love your blog!! Visiting from the life of a not so ordinary wifes GFC blog hop! I am your newest follower. Being a mom is one of the highest callings we can have!! And to be able to be a stay at home mom is a blessing from the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you stopped by. so true, one of the hardest but such a blessing that I cherish (bust somehow know I sometimes take for granted).

      Delete
  3. I am so glad to have stumbled across this post. God knew this had been weighing on my heart, and it was perfect timing. I just started being a SAHM again, and have been struggling somewhat. I know, though, that being in God's word IS the missing piece. Now...I just need to work on getting up early to do it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I am your newest follower from the GFC blog hop. I could not agree more with this post, God's word is as necessary to being a mommy as baby wipes!! Thank you for sharing your heart!
    I blog over at www.ambersloveonwings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't little boys supposed to get covers in dirt and sand anyways? And what better time to do it then when mommy is feeding her soul and spirit! You get covered in the word, and he gets covered in dirt! Win Win in my opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete

Always Enjoy Hearing From You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...